Research Engineer and Postdoc
The HCI research group in the School of Computing and Information Systems (SCIS) the Singapore Management University (SMU) is looking to hire research engineers and post-doctoral fellows in several areas of human-computer interaction research. Our HCI group focuses on the design, implementation and evaluation of computer systems. We are interested in topics related to accessibility, collaborative computing, human-agent interaction/collaboration, data visualization, social robotics and AR/VR, and are especially interested in topics that intersect two or more of these areas. You can learn more about our group here: https://smuhci.com/ . Or contact us: email@example.com
All applicants should be proficient designers, programmers, and UX researchers, with a range of skills across each of these areas.
- For research engineers, we welcome applicants who have a Masters degree, or a Bachelor’s degree with commensurate prior experience.
- For post-doctoral fellows, we welcome applicants who have completed their PhD, or are within 6 months of finishing. Applicants should have demonstrated experience and a strong publication record in HCI or HCI-adjacent areas.
Established in 2003, SCIS is a young, dynamic and internationally recognized school with a focus on computing and information systems, and people. Our research creates knowledge for the future of business and society through academic and practice scholarship. Within academic scholarship, we focus on the three themes of Artificial Intelligence and Data Science, Human-Machine Collaborative Systems, and Information Systems and Technology. The School offers degrees at the Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral levels, and currently enrols about 2000 undergraduates and 600 post-graduate students.
SMU is located in the heart of one of Asia's most cosmopolitan cities. As a premier university in Asia, SMU is internationally recognised for its world-class research and distinguished teaching. SMU's mission is to generate leading-edge research with global impact and to produce broad-based, creative, and entrepreneurial leaders for the knowledge-based economy. SMU emphasises rigorous, high-impact, multi- and interdisciplinary research that addresses Asian issues of global relevance. SMU's city campus is a modern facility located in the heart of downtown Singapore, fostering strategic linkages with business, government, and the wider community.
To apply, applicants should submit the following items:
- a cover letter that describes their interest in the position and motivation for working with one or more PIs in the SMU HCI group
- an up-to-date, full curriculum vitae
- a copy of their most recent university transcript
- the names and email addresses of three referees
- for post-doctoral fellow applicants:
- a one to two-page proposal describing their desired post-doc research
- two examples of refereed published scholarly work
Please send materials to Prof Anthony Tang by February 29, 2023. Not all submissions will receive a reply if application numbers are high.
The successful applicant will start some time after March 1, 2023.
Pay will be commensurate with typical amounts within Singaporean universities and, in addition, will include expense coverage for conference travel.